Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

A tale of two cities

Here at Harborview, I have been working with different electric wheelchairs to try to find a model that will fit me best. Some of them work by joystick and some of them work by a sip and puff device that I work with my mouth. So far I haven't killed anyone with my driving and I haven't done too much damage to the walls and furniture. Hopefully we will get this all figured out by the time I leave. My discharge date has been moved out to October 16. We are also working on getting my medications figured out. We need to get the right combination of medications that will control my spasms without overly sedating me. It's tedious process and hopefully we'll get it figured out.
At home, Robin has been working with all of our friends who are helping us get our home figured out and constructed so that I can come home. There's a lot to do and everyone is scrambling to make it happen. Our younger son Connor has made things interesting because he had a bit of a problem a couple of nights ago and did some damage to the home which must be cleaned up and fixed before we can go on.
We can't begin to express our gratitude to all those who are making this happen. It's truly amazing what's been done. Bless all of you for your hard work. For those of you who have posted to this blog or have sent cards and gifts, we send our thanks. You can't believe how much these mean to Robin and I and how much they bolster us because things are really becoming stressful right now. Thanks again to all of you.
Rick with Robin

5 comments:

  1. Good Morning Rick and Robin,
    Congratulations on your progress! You are doing amazing things and your strength and persistence is inspiring. We are all looking forward to your homecoming, and are more than happy to help in any way. That support will be there for you when you come home, as well. Keep up the great work! We're all pulling for you. Cindy and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear friends!
    It is great to read you blogs. Wish we could have been there for the house work party - I am sure that the energy around there was contagious! We think about you every day and are trying to send positive energy your way - after are just across the lake from Lily Dale - the worlds largest spiritual center! If you get a little bust of faith and energy at times perhaps our powers are working! :) Love to you all there and let Connor know we have his room ready when he is ready to jump on that train!
    Nancy & Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick and Robin, Steve and I are just back from our trip and happy to hear Rick is improving at rehab. We are glad that you were able to push out discharge a little to give Robin more time at home for preparations. Keep up the hard work, everything will feel better when Rick is home. We Love you Guys, Steve and Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rick,

    Having been a rehab nurse for a few years, I know (at least from a nursing perspective) what you are going through. They can be slave drivers those rehab folks, but all for good reason. I continue to think and pray for you often. Keep your spirits high! Linda Chase

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hang in there Rick --- you are a very strong person --- you can do it. We all miss you and think of you on a daily basis. Sounds like you are making progress by not running people down in the hallway though! LOL.

    Debbie Hale

    ReplyDelete